Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Awesomely Easy DIY Candle holders/Centerpeices for the holidays

Ok so every year around the holidays I start looking for a fun project I can do to give out to some of my work acquaintances and such. This year I found a simple moderately priced project  and wanted to share. Here is my final outcome....
Supplies:
Kryolon Glitter Blast spray paint (I choose red and white but this comes in loads of colors.)(One can does approx. 3 or 4 short candle holders.)
Kryolon Glitter Blast Clear sealer. (This keeps the glitter from peeling as bad.) (I only bought 2 cans of this to like 6 or 8 cans of the paint)
Glass ware was all bought at Dollar tree.
Curling ribbon
Velvet bows
Wired Garland
Mini xmas ornaments
Any other elements you may like (I used glittered leaves and snow flakes)
Masking Tape
Scissors
Newspaper

First lay down your newspaper to protect your work surface.

Next use your masking tape to tape off the glassware in the pattern of your choosing. You can also cut the tape into thinner strips or leave it for wider. Tape off the glass.


Add 2 or 3 thin coats of the Glitter paint depending out how opaque you want the glitter to appear. Allow plenty of dry time between each coat and use thin coats each time to prevent the paint from dripping.
(I think I waited about 30 minutes between coats)
Allow to dry overnight or so.
Apply 1 or 2 coats of the clear sealer and allow to fully dry.

CAREFULLY remove the tape or it will pull up your edges. (they can be pushed back against the glass if need be.)

Apply one last coat of the sealer.

This is what you should have now....

Next we decorate! I used the Garland as the base of my project.
You are gonna want an extra inch or so over the size of the glass so you can twist the edges down in the back.
So this is the first batch I started...
As you can see added the garland to the glass first. I did change my method after the first few as I found it much easier to add the elements to the Garland then just twist them around the glass.
I then tied the curling ribbon around the front center of the garland and used my scissors to curl it.
Next I added the large velvet ribbon over the front center of the garland.
From here all the glasses varied. Some had the branches, Some Ornaments, Some just bows. I just played with my elements til I thought they looked good LOL.

Here are a bunch of the results. I sure hope you have a great time making these.

No comments:

Post a Comment